Many people have turned on their Xbox 360 consoles and discovered that they have more MSP than they had put on. An article on shoptonews.net claims that it has been happening to many people randomly.

Some believe it is due to the Xbox Live Rewards system, however they have been getting more than they would have been rewarded. The continous pattern of thought is that it is due to the reward scheme, but those affected are getting more than they are due. Sadly this is seemingly at random, and not everyone is being as lucky.

The screenshot below is one that my friend kindly sent to me as an example. It reveals he has been given in total 2800MSP, yet if this was due to the reward system, he should've got 430MSP, and they don't dish out the points until the 15th of each month. Many people are getting different amounts, but for now, we are left clueless until Microsoft come forward with an answer.

Are any of you readers one of the lucky ones? If so we would like to hear your own theories on this.

How to view your billing history

1. Go to https://billing.microsoft.com/... and sign in.
2. Click on Microsoft Points and it will bring up your history in the format in the above picture.

UPDATE:Microsoft have recalled the points they gave out, if anyone had spent them they will be expecting payment under threat of bans and taking away a few months of gold subscription.

Comments
TRICKY1976
How do you find out how many points you have been awarded?
how did he get the screenshot?
I was awarded 2000msp, at first i thought my account had been infiltrated and somebody purchased them
Dan
ive been given 400 points and they were deposited today and i thought something was fishy
blackcat13
Holy Crap! I was awarded 1600 pts. That's pretty damn awesome. I never check my pts until I want something so thanks for the heads up.
TRICKY1976
Holy c**p i was awarded 3, 800 points!!
No rewards program here yet, so no complains about those filthy microsoft dudes giving me free stuff without being asked.

...

:D wait, that had to be sarcasm and a sad face.
blackcat13
Yeah all the pts I was awarded(1600pts), are now gone PLUS another 200 of my original pts. I think i will have to write a sternly worded letter to MS about dipping into my pocket. lol
TRICKY1976
This is from another site:

I just talked to MS when I noticed that my account had jumped a little over 5000MS. The rep told me that the promo points have been escalated and the matter will be resolved within 72 hours. I ask what they were doing if I had already spent them. The reps answer was that MS is planning on handling the matter is five phases.

1- If the points weren?t spent then they are just going to remove them from the accounts that got them.
2- If the points were spent leaving a zero or negative balance of points and there is a credit card on file, then they are going to bill for the points used.
3- If there is no credit card on file, they plan on sending out an E-mail ?demanding? payment.
4- If there is no credit card on file and the ?demand? for payment goes unanswered then they ?may? subtract months of gold membership that equal the amount of points used.
5- If there is still a negative balance then they plan on banning the console and the account until it is no longer negative. This one she said at least three times.