NOTICE: Microsoft have issued a statement regarding this topic to clear up some confusion - please refer to the following address for more information - majornelson.com/2011/05/18/cle... ... Xbox%29%29

We apologize for any inconveniences and raised hopes that might have been caused by the publishing of this article.

Some gamers may be pleased to hear that the latest Xbox 360 mandatory update is not compatible with their Xbox 360. Pleased - why would you be pleased at that - well it's because Microsoft are offering a free Xbox 360 250GB to everyone who gets affected by this update. This is down to the anti-piracy scheme Microsoft are implementing soon onto the new XGD3 higher capacity discs which is preventing the older consoles from playing standard retail games..

Following a recent update to our system software, we have become aware of an issue that is preventing a very small number of Xbox 360 owners from playing retail game discs, a Microsoft statement provided to Eurogamer reads. This issue manifests itself a as a unique 'disc unreadable' or 'disc unsupported' error on the screen. We are also able to detect this issue over Xbox Live and are proactively reaching out to customers that may be impacted to replace their console.

Like previously said, the firmware update implements new anti-piracy measures as well as adding 1GB extra on game discs. European customers should go to the support.xbox.com/en-gb/pages/c... to get about getting a new Xbox 360 if they experience any problems when the new update rolls out tomorrow.

Source - kotaku.com/5802935/does-the-xb... ... r-consoles

Comments
smad69
bet i'm not the only one who's praying that my xbox doesn't work for once.

Makes a change, all this time i've been praying not to get the RROD lol
nyall97
You got a white xbox?
Darkwings18
I hope mine isn't compatible, but its an Elite so doubt I am that lucky lol.
So that will be random, or just happening to older consoles, just the white ones or maybe just the piracy-ready ones...

???

Well, I'm on my 2nd xbox wich incidentally is my second Elite. The 1st one suffered from RROD and have to admit the one they rolled me out was older and noisier that the one I originally purchased.

I'd be nice to get a slim one but I guess that would mean that I would be getting error messages and would work my way to get it replaced (the usual two weeks without console) so dunno what's better.
smad69
i got an elite but im gona write to xbox reassuring them that it is a white one which now doesn't work, it's just gone black with old age :D
Darkwings18
It might be worth updating the post, as Microsoft have announced that the disc read error was from a previous update not the upcoming one. Heres a link for the source:
kotaku.com/5803242/microsoft-s... ... old-update

Also, given that Microsoft announced this, I think it is safe to say that they have already emailed the owners of the consoles with errors regarding the matter. I might be wrong on that one, but seems it was just coincidental timing.