Most Xbox Live gamers are used to the normal Microsoft ways when it comes to their Live games. You pay a certain amount of MSP (dollars) for the game, then have the opportunity to purchase extra content that comes along with any Live game. Outside the 360, free-to-play gaming has hit the ground running, and while Microsoft has yet to confirm this, there is a possibility that free-to-play will be coming to Xbox Live.

IGN reported on their site that a trusted source had told them that [Microsoft] will allow publishers and developers to release games through the service for free where users can then purchase additional content, such as weapons, experience points, in-game currency, and perks. We will most likely not see free-to-play anytime soon, but when (and if) we see it, it will bring enormous changes, and hopefully for the better.

Comments
liquidblue4
I'm totally against this.
it's just opening the door for the Farmville scheme.
SteinlageT
Ew, Farmville. Don't even get me started :P! I hated getting 25 notifications on Facebook a day about people's pink cows being lost haha!
liquidblue4
yeah, now just imagine that... on your xbox.
I'm totally against microtransaction CRAP gaming. That is a thing that could hardly be called a game. I dunno how's the thing now never gave fartville a try nor will do) but I can remember a lot of old browser based games were gameplay was just, well...browsing and waiting.

But I can see a REAL GAME based on microtransactions. Imagine a JOY RIDE (the one before it was announced for kinect). A free game. A fun (controller based) game. A game where you could also create and share your tracks. A game where you could unlock FEW stuff for the level editor, vehicle and character. Then microtransactions come in adding loads of variety. Unlikely 2 gamers would look the same or have the same stats-weapons.

That would be good.

I think dead rising 2 fell into that cathegory selling small downloads allowing the player to disguise/use weapons in a different ways than regular players can.

Ingame currency boosted by real life funds should be avoided at all costs...

On the other hand There are actually free games arround. Few unnoticed ones. There are indie games that automatically save your progress and they let you continue playing if you load the game again after the 5 minute trial shutdown.

There's also few indie games that can be finished in one sit before trial time expires. Those are high score based games and some of them -dotzo ninja games- are really nice 8bit ones. IMHO that was made on purpose by some indie devs.
SteinlageT
Joy Ride was actually to be a free-to-play game from MS, but was pulled back to a retail game with Kinect!
liquidblue4
that might sound nice Z4M0, but you can bet your ass that developers would start abusing it eventually.
it's better to just stop it before it starts.
i'd bet my wang instead as I'm fairly sure it'd be abused :D It was just a rainbow shinny lovely world of ponies reflexion, I know It won't happen in real life. Never ever.

Sadly.
liquidblue4
Z4M0 Said

Sadly.

true true... so true.

Xbox Resource Members ×
Members get exclusive access to lots of cool features on the site, so why not join us?

Already Have An Account?