Though this is somewhat old news, it is definitely worth noting, as this news item hit even mainstream websites such as Google and Yahoo. In a press release noting past year earnings, Activision announced the closing of the Guitar Hero franchise, including the 2011 Guitar Hero game that was in the works. Guitar Hero truly paved the way for the music genre, and though it should have ended a few games ago, the series will still be sadly missed.

In the same announcement, Activision announced the cancellation of their upcoming game, True Crime: Hong Kong. We then saw another disappointing news item: the Dj Hero franchise has been closed, ending all future DJ Hero titles, along with the cancellation of the Band Hero franchise.

Bobby Kotick released a statement today talking about how he believes the Guitar Hero franchise can be resurrected, though this was all personal beliefs. Either way, it is sad to see all these games ending, especially one that paved the way for games like Rock Band 3 today. RIP Guitar Hero...for now.

Comments
GrumpyOlGamer
Anyone else thinking 'Good riddance'? They churned out the same game for years. The only downside I would think is that not only are the stopping making games, they're stopping making DLC. Surely the whole purpose of the games is that it's pretty easy to just make an MP3 bundle with a few tracks. Hell, the least they could do if they're not planning any more is allow people to make their own, and the ability to share them. Can't say I'm surprised with DJ Hero going the same way though. The only REAL disappointment I thought was that Activision claimed that they had stopped work on these games to focus on their other main titles... like Call Of Duty (sigh...)
[imgsize=20, 20]http] Via http

to be honest with you i never really played either purely because there was like less than 5 songs over the entire collection (minus Dlc) that i actually liked and they wanted me to pay to play songs that in my opinion should have been in the game from the start.

Okay... I know i am picky with my taste in music, i tend to not like the more mainstream music (with a few exceptions) but rather music which is different or invokes feeling or emotion... Or music which hardly anyone has heard... But GH and rock band outcast me because of this fact because i am not mainstream enough.
Thank God, this series were getting annoying, specially after harmonix departure. I got GH on release date, then GH2 (wich utterly dissapointed me) both on PS2 then skipped everytitle till Rock band 2 and that was due a killer game+ instruments bundle.

I'm getting sick of the overmilking IP policy that videogaming companies have, the big one I meant. This must be the reason why I'm only excited about upcoming titles like THQ's (saints row 3, etc.) or stuff in the likes of earth defense force.

Anyway, as Grumpy pointed out it would be sad to see they to stop supporting GH with DLC. I don't really care about the franchise but that would make a nice kick in the nuts to long term supporting fans.

@ x2i

I for the most part know how you feel about that, in general terms, but are GH tracklists so mainstream ? I thought it was so speaking of band hero's but if GH's are anything close to rock band's IMHO it's fine for me. I have to admit I was really picky when I was, let's say 20 but now I can go to a Simple Minds gig and the next week be in the middle of a motorhead concert and then to Grabba Grabba Tape.

I'm the kind of idiot that paid for Enslaved limited edition just to have another Nittin Shawney CD at home but that won't make me never ever say I don't like Queen cause their mainstreamitis.

I guess it's about everyone's personal tastes but I've come to learn that the more music you are into(except for prefabricated artists like most pop and R&B + rap out there nowadays), the much you'll appreciate music itself.

And now, the obligated comic strip.

explosm.net/comics/2295/...
explosm.net/comics/2318/...

Cheers.
@Z4M0 - Well, I mean don't get me wrong I like a lot of stuff, some mainstream, some that most people here would have never even heard of (such as smaller local bands as well)... but most of what I like really wouldn't be put into GH or RB simply because not enough people know what it is or who they are... whilst not all DLC is of Mainstream music, it's still more well known than some of the bands I listen to.

And some of the music wouldn't even fit into Rock Band, Lips, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero or Band Hero - it's doesn't fit into those genre's or it would be way too hard to play it.
so... you are into elfic music ? Damn you imaginary instruments!

;D :D

Jokes apart, now you said that I started to picture an orchestra hero game, using kinect to direct (solo) and people online playing imaginay violins lol.
Z4M0 Said
so... you are into elfic music ? Damn you imaginary instruments!

;D :D

Dude, that needs to be a real game, and we need to make it - we could be rich ;)

Nah not elfic music just music that isn't as well known or popular lol