I know there is a review done by blue but this is my take on the game and its from my point of view it may not be the best or as good as blue's but its good enough to read.
Developer: Square Enix PDD 1
Publisher: Square Enix
Platform: Xbox 360/Playstation 3
Release Date: JP December 17, 2009
NA March 9, 2010
PAL March 9, 2010
Some 1,300 years ago, a group calling themselves fal'Cie constructed a paradise for humanity: the shell-like city of Cocoon, which floats high above the surface of Pulse under the power of the Cocoon fal'Cie Orphan. Then, the Cocoon fallacies created life forms and machines for Cocoon's resident’s to use, and humanity flourished. A war was fought between the fal'Cie of Pulse and the Cocoon fal'Cie, and Cocoon prevailed in what was eventually known as the War of Transgressions. However, fear lingered in the hearts of the resident’s living in Cocoon, for the day another invasion might strike beneath the world once more.
Although most of the Cocoon citizens have never seen the place they call Pulse, although they have been told that it is a dangerous place that has strange effects on those who venture down to its surface. Consequently, anyone who is discovered to have been in contact with anything from Pulse is immediately subjected to quarantine and exile by the government of Cocoon, known as the Sanctum. The Sanctum enforces this policy with its best military branch they got, PSICOM.
As Snow leads the resistance group known as NORA, in an attempt to stop the purging of civilians, the mysterious person known as Lightning fights her way past a group of PSICOM soldiers with the aid of Sazh Katzroy a former airship pilot for the military. After they find a Pulse fal'Cie, a mysterious person named Anima, turns Lightning’s sister, Serah (who is also Snow's fiancée), into a l'Cie. Through a chain of events, these three, along with two exiles, Vanille and Hope, they are forced by the fal'Cie of Pulse to become l'Cie, and with that became enemies of humanity with the Focus of bringing about the downfall of the Orphan, who provides the fal'cie Eden with the energy to run Cocoon. Slaying Orphan would supposedly result in Cocoon's demise.
• Can only control one member of your party.
• Multiple can be stacked into slots per turn and released at the same time to form a combo.
• Stagger Stance is a system in XIII where you maintain a chain combo for a long time causing the enemy to “stagger” for a limited time which makes the enemy glow orange
• The role system in XII makes it so characters in your party control what abilities are used within battle for instance say mr x is a commando he would use physical attacks etc during battle.
• Paradigm Shift is a system where you can switch roles on the fly during battle eg you could have one commando and two medics.
• The Crystarium is a leveling system which resembles the sphere grid in FF X instead of gaining experience points after winning a battle characters gain Crystogen Points (CP) which can then be spent in order to unlock abilities and increase attributes such as maximum HP. Every character has a Crystarium, and within it, different sections corresponding to each Role the character has available.
• Summons is an action you can do in battle and when you are in battle you summon a thing called Eidolons which comes from a crystal that sprouts from the character's mark of l'Cie.
Final Fantasy XIII uses an engine called Crystal Tools it was built specifically for the seventh gen consoles ala Xbox 360 and PS3. The engine itself is able render cut scenes in real time like those of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. The gameplay is just awesome I liked the cut scenes and the voice work is just great the music isn’t my cup of tea but it would appeal to most final fantasy fans I’m sure. Animations in XII are beautifully crafted to perfection the way people move and talk in the cut scenes to the battles you face everything is just tip top the sound effects used in the game is great too from people crying to the sword used by Lightning hitting a monster is just another thing I found very cool.
Final Fantasy XIII is a brilliant game I am not a big RPG fan but its Final Fantasy I could not stop staring at the 360 case of the game at EB Games I had to pick it up and give it a go and I thought this would be a disaster of a game and let me say it’s a very good game indeed everything from graphics to gameplay is just at its best. The only thing I did not like about the game is that it comes in 3 disc’s compared to the PS3 version which takes only one 50GB Blu Ray DVD if I was you I would buy it and just play it.